Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Philography (Philosophy + Photography)

Nikon D3100 18-55mm.  July 2011.
Ansel Adams is credited to have said "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it".  The words are easy enough to understand but believing it is a different matter.  I've thought to myself "If only I had a better camera or a faster lens..." more times than I care to count.  I still do.  Like right now, I'm wishing I had a better camera...and a faster lens.  I could easily compile a wishlist of camera gear that would take me a good part of my life to pay off.

Better equipment will absolutely make a difference.  But in a very real way, how much of a difference is limited to the person using it. A great photographer will make that difference very apparent.  I'd like to be a great photographer.

It is easy to assume that learning everything there is to know about cameras and how they work will make my photography great.  It definitely won't hurt.  But knowing this does not necessarily mean I'll capture the images I hope to.  The more time I spend on photography, the more I realize that photography is a mix of many ingredients.  Framing, focus, balance, light, color, creativity, vision, timing, emotion, me.

I won't be ignoring my wishlist anytime soon. Sooner or later I'll get better gear.  But in the meantime the most cost effective option is to focus on the twelve inches behind my camera.

At the moment I don't have any particular photography course work I plan to follow.  A good portion of what I've learned up to this point has been the result of just getting out and taking pictures.  Most of what I learn and do I'll try to document here.  I hope it will help you in some way.

This week as part of my photography education I put in an order for a Holga, a DIY Pinhole camera, and some film  (I'll be honest, it's mostly just because I thought it would be fun).

For those that are curious, I currently shoot with a Nikon D7000 and mainly with a 35mm f/1.8 lens.  I switched over from the Nikon D3100 at the end of 2011.


Nikon D7000 35mm 1.8.  August 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment